Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Not a bad first day

First shooting days are usually for ironing out glitches, but today went really smoothly - we were shooting in an abandoned hospital near Pasadena (yesterday makes the third time in a calendar year that I've shot there) which happens to have pretty easy access in and out. It's also helping that they've got a nice long shooting schedule (this is over 10 shooting days, and hour-long TV shows are usually on an 8 shooting day schedule), so we're not being run ragged.

Plus, this is one of the nicest crews I've worked with. Everyone's polite, relaxed and we made good time - it was only a 12 hour day.

We were still sorting out our Kino Flo order today - we have tungsten and daylight balanced tubes, and we're carrying enough tubes to do a complete swap (so we can make all the heads daylight or tungsten), but the rental house sent over too many tubes, so I was put to the job of sorting out and sending back the excess.

I was trying to explain my progress to my boss, and since he was busy with other things that were more pressing, he just said "I trust you to get it right" and walked off.

That makes me nervous. As soon as he signed off on it, that was pretty much a guarantee that I'm going to fuck it up somehow.

I had planned to go swim after work, but I got a terrible headache right at wrap and went straight home.

We're in the same area (not the same location, though) tomorrow, so maybe on my way home - since I go right by a gym with a pool.

6 comments:

CHARLI said...

I went to the gym yesterday, first time in a couple of weeks. It was good but dang, I'm sore this morning. Got to make it more of a regular schedule, oh well. Whatever. Btw, that whole thing about the alley in a past blog, yeah, thanks a lot, now I avoid alleys in our little town.

Unknown said...

pools! really, the first thing I noticed about LA was the lack of public pools. It was easier to find one in Colorado. I guess everyone is rich enough to have their own.

Anonymous said...

Is that St. Luke's where you're working in Pasadena? I see a lot of filming activity there, since I live a block down the street from it.

Peggy Archer said...

No, it's in Altadena. I forget the name, but it's owned by CalTech and they just use it for filming.

Anonymous said...

Yup. That's St. Luke's. It was a hospital until about 5 years ago. Then it closed down and Caltech bought it. The Pasadena city limit is Washington Blvd, so it's actually in the city, but it's right across the street from Altadena. And Caltech is still thinking about moving some departments up there, but I gather they're making some money from renting it out for filming so they don't seem to be in much of a hurry to move anyone there.

Peggy Archer said...

Stan - yeah, I heard it's anywhere from 5 to 10 grand a DAY, depending on how much of the hospital is used.