Monday, July 17, 2006

I'm too hot for my tool belt.

From an article in the LA Times:

"The cool ocean breezes and clouds that meteorologists call Southern California's natural air conditioner broke down this year, creating record heat that is expected to continue through October."


Oh, I don't want to hear that - it's way hotter than normal for this time of year, and two people I know have gotten heat stroke in the past ten days.

The Local 80 Goddess was working at one of those 'movie ranches' (you know the ones - with the photogenic 19th century Western-style facades, artfully rutted dirt roads and nary a power line or highway overpass in sight - yeah, those are all located in the city's hottest suburbs) and collapsed in the 110 degree heat, which resulted in her being a guest in the ICU. Last I talked to her, she'd progressed to being allowed to walk around the block - only if it wasn't too hot out.

The other person didn't collapse, but started to feel really crappy in the lunch line and was able to recognize the signs of heat-related problems in time to get to the hospital before things got really bad, but still admitted to not feeling so great a few days later.

I'm sitting on the couch with a fan aimed directly at me, moving only in order to go sit someplace with air conditioning (I've used up all my movie passes and I've seen all the summer movies twice, but cool air's cool air), but I'll be working soon enough and Murphy's Law being what it is, I'll probably get sent to some far-flung inferno where I'll be expected to remain alive for 14 hours despite the heat.

Production doesn't stop just because it's insanely hot - just like it doesn't stop when it's freezing cold, windy, or raining toads (they'd just have the set dressers clear them off with a shovel).

I think you have to fuck up an actor before a show temporarily shuts down - but not always even then. Mr. Movie Star had a story about getting hit in the head so hard that he saw double and being expected to complete the scene anyways because they were running behind that day.

Or maybe Mr. Movie Star was just being overly dramatic.



Couch of the Day:

Couch

10 comments:

Lora_3 said...

Well you could be in Austin, Texas!

Stay Cool...

Anonymous said...

Two stories about not shutting down a production, even if the actor gets hurt. William Shatner was doing a western, and decided he wanted to do his own stunts, including roping a calf. He caught his fingers between the rope and his saddle, dislocating a few of said fingers. He continued with the day's shooting, because as he told some of the grips later, he didn't want them to think he was a pussy. -I- think it was because his money was involved in said production (g) Another story involves Michael Jackson getting knocked on his ass by a dolly grip. Suffice to say, Michael was off his mark, the dolly grip was right on his mark, playback confirmed it, and Michael said "I go where the music takes me" while the grip had visions of "Never Working In This Town Again" for killing Michael Jackson on film. Michael has some BIG BAD bodyguards, with sleek guns under their coats. They picked up Michael, dusted him, and continued with the filming. The playback was watched with much amusement later, as it showed Michael's face getting closer and closer to the camera until finally, boom! Flat on the floor.

moneyca said...

I don't know how much more of this heat I can take! I moved to North Hollywood last year from West Hollywood and knew I would have to get used to it getting hotter, but this is ridiculous!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't end up somewhere miserable.

Anonymous said...

I remember one of my first jobs as a set dresser we had to lay out 10 tons (yes 10) of sand in this horrible heat. It was no surprise whenI found out I had dropped 12 lbs in 3 days.

Anonymous said...

It's interesting how the back of today's couch slants down so sharply from right to left. I wonder what could cause that effect - frame damage?

Peter
Iron Rails & Iron Weights

Roger said...

It's funny because I keep laughing at my friends who are sitting around their air-conditioned offices bitching about the heat they have to go out in to get in their cars. At least they don't have to work out in it.

My favorite working in the heat story was a music video I did years ago. We were out in the desert by Lancaster and I think at one point the thermometer hit 117. But, you know, it was a DRY HEAT.

Anyway, we had to shoot (I was a 2nd AC on this) on this old school bus and since it was run-and-gun stuff I had to bring a changing bag and film and load in the bus as it rambled down the back roads of wherever the hell we were. I braced myself between the seats put the changing bag on a case and started changing mags (by the way - film STICKS to sweaty fingers.) I was sweating so badly that it was literally pouring off my head onto the changing bag. The AD saw me and said, "hey, is that good for the film?" I told him he was free to mop my forehead anytime he thought it was necessary.

I don't think anyone dropped from heat-stroke on that one but my camera PA did get stung by a scorpion.


My Blog

ffaelan said...

i know they look kinda star trekkie but i swear by this personal cooler thing from sharper image.

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/pipmoreshell1_2.jhtml?sku=SI558SL2&pid=26728300

my moms from montana and dads from ohio. sunshine not my friend. also use 50 proof suntan lotion from ocean potion, it makes me feel colder.

FrancesDanger said...

Awww, todays couch wilted in the heat....

Be safe and I'll cross my fingers you get to be in air cinditionaing for the next few months.

Anonymous said...

Peggy,
Don't know if this is true, but...I heard from someone recently that if you go to Eagle Outfitters and just try on a pair of the jeans, they'll give you free movie tickets. Some friends of mine just did it in Northern California. Just some more free cool-air for ya.

David H.
http://www.davidmhepburn.com

Anonymous said...

Even the west side's ugly...

Up in the perms early am Friday, hanging a practical: already nasty. No place you'd want to while away the day. Later that day, a pickup in Santa Clarita: George W Texas hot...

The AC at Sony on the stage can't overcome the heat.

Stay low, move slow...