Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Yeah, that was worth it.

When I'm not working, I'm always hesitant to spend money - I never know when I'll work again, and I've spent too much when work was tight before and had to make the humiliating call to my parents for emergency funds.

So, yesterday, when I was in Best Buy looking at wireless internet cards for the new laptop (The Blonde dropped the old one, so she pitched in for a used IBM on eBay), I almost bought the cheap one.

However, the lure of the instant rebate made me spend the extra 20 bucks for the extra long range, high powered wireless card.

The result? I'm getting a wireless signal in my living room. I do not have a wireless network in my house - I think I'm picking it up from one of the office buildings nearby.

It can't be someone's home DSL - it's way too fast, and despite the 'very low' signal strength, I'm surfing away just fine, thanks.

Sweeeeeet.

We'll see how long it lasts.

I'm rigging for a TV show tonight. I get to spend the entire night changing fluorescent tubes in a warehouse in the valley.

I'm going to try to take a nap.

Pre work update: The signal is coming from the Los Angeles Unified School District. When using it, I can't access Yahoo, messaging services, MySpace, or anything deemed unsuitable for schoolchildren.

Fine with me. I can use the computer in the back for that. Right now I'm playing internet radio over the smokin' fast signal.

Hey, it's almost 7 pm. The kiddies aren't there. I promise I won't eat up the free bandwidth during school hours.

No comments: